Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Tangle of Discourses

I'll begin my blog this week by expressing how frustrating it was to read this entire text because of how lenghthy and wordy it was (even a bit unclear to me), however I was very interested in the material Raby presented.  Raby examines five dominant Western culture discourses: the storm, becomin, at-risk, social problem, and pleasurable consumption. Personally, I think people come up with titles to define every stage of children's lives since the day they are born till the day they turn 18. For instance terrible two's where kids are expected to act up, have temper tantrums ect. then we have the big girl/boy stage and so on. The stormy teenage years have always been blamed on the teens because they are "flooding with hormones" however Raby mentiones Steinbergs research "which suggests that the teen years are 'stormier' for the parents than for teenagers" (p431). This came as a shock to me because adults/parents are NEVER blamed for anything so how dare Steinberg say that the parents of these hormonal teens are going through a very similar hormonal imbalance that causes mood swings, changes in behavior etc.? But it make's A LOT of sense! My mother always told me I gave her "gray hairs" from all the stress I caused her in my teenage years and I've always felt awful for it but can it be that her greys were a sign of her aging at the same time I was growing up? 



In recent years we've seen a significant increase in teen pregnancies which means those teen mom's wll be raising their teens well before they reach their midlife issues, will the same be able to be said about them?



I was very bothered by the fact that Raby does not include any other races like Hispanics/Latinos or Asians because I know those teens and grandmothers opinions would differ than those of these women that were interviewed for this research. As a person of Hispanic decent, I was considered an "at-risk" teen because of where I grew up and where I am from, which exposed me to violence, sex, drugs etc. more often. Raby doesn't says in the beginning of the article that the women and girls she interviewed all  considered themselves "middle-class" (p427) why not include working class families also? I know she mentions in her intro that it was hard to find both a granddaughter and grandmother willing to participate but I think adding this to her research would've provided more insight on the real at risk teens and what that really means. I searched at risk teen PSA's and found this one I liked and wanted to share with you guys. Raby also talks about pleasurable consumption and how marketers are specifically marketing teens. For the middle-class family, this is not as big of a problem as it proves to be for working class families that really can't afford anything that is targeted at teens. These "at risk teens" living in poverty are usually surrounded by violence and some (not all) will turn to violence to get what it is that they want so they can fit in to what everyone else has. Palladino also lacked the talk of race in the article They're Getting Older Younger, when it discussed how teens have become the target for marketers. I grew up hearing seeing my peers fight over a pair or Jordan sneakers, why isn't anyone addressing the issue of class and race when it obviously plays such a huge role? (And if it is mentioned it is not disused in detail)

All in all I feel like teens are always in a lose lose situation where they will always be blamed for everything because of how they are represented in the media. 

2 comments:

  1. Same here with the reading being unclear at times. It is very lengthy and I think she could have gotten to her point with less words.

    All together get post! I can relate to the ethic background with me being African American.
    Teenagers are surely in a lose lose situation now a days and its sad.
    I think we should rid the titiles and call things as as is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like when you said "In recent years we've seen a significant increase in teen pregnancies which means those teen mom's will be raising their teens well before they reach their midlife issues, will the same be able to be said about them?" Because I talked about teen pregnancies in my post for this article, and I wish I had thought of that point and discussed it! It was a thought that hadn't occurred to me..good insight :)

    ReplyDelete