Sunday, February 2, 2014

Unlearning the Myths


Throughout my Gender Studies classes, media portrayals have been a hot topic always touched upon but never discussed in detail.  Last semester in one of my courses we spent a class period discussing the topic at hand in this article; Disney princesses. Here is the video that we watched in that particular class which began to open my eyes to what Disney has taught us and continues to teach our children. 

While I was reading this article I realized I felt the same way Justine did. I didn't want to dessect these movies I grew up watching and loving, I felt like i wast tearing apart my childhood memories, but I know it is necesary in order to change what we will teach our children, a whole new generation that can break these stereotypes. 

I remember when I was younger, I loved watching Cinderella. It was my all time favorite movie. I wanted to be just like her when I grew up. I often expressed this to my parents and they were completely supportive of me. My father especially always wanted to see me in dresses, my hair long and staight with a matching hair piece on my head. I realize now, my father was just feeding into the stereotypes that we are taught as children. Even now at 23 years old my father still expects me to be his little princess and he alsways expresses how he expects me to marry a man that can take care of me and treat me like a princess.

The messages in these legendary movies about what a girl is supposed to look like (light skinned, blue eyes, long haired and thin) how they're supposed to act, what theyre supposed to do etc are burried under these glamorous and magical scenes that it is really hard to believe how damaging they really can be to young girls. Young girls are growing up believing that in order to have the "happily ever after", they must look a certain way and if they don't, it is impossible to be happy which is wrong! 

4 comments:

  1. I wrote the same thing in my blog about not wanting to dissect the movies into a "secret education" because I don't want to ruin my childhood movies and memories. I feel like that is the hardest part to acknowledging what some of these movies might really mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is so sad to have to learn of all the negativity in movies that we loved. Beauty and the Beast is still, to this day, my favorite movie, and it really kind of turned me off as i watched a couple of youtube videos pointing out hidden messages. It also annoys me so much when family member, all males, tell me to marry a man who can take care of me. I dont want to marry a man who can take care of me, if i ever marry at all i just want to marry my best friend, because i am completely capable of taking care of myself. All women are. It is so sad that even today we can not escape media and its effects on a woman's thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really funny because even though I grew up without my dad--or mom--making me want to fit the princess part, I still wanted to be Ariel so badly. I don't really think the princess-ness appealed to me, but the mermaid part definitely did.
    I think you mentioned in GEND 201 that you have or daughter right? I'm not crazy...I'm pretty sure you did hahah! I'm interested to know how you handle this issue in regards to your own daughter.
    PS: If I really am crazy and you don't have a daughter, I guess it could still be a question about children you might have in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha you're not crazy, yes I have a 6 year old and to be honest its duffcult because as a parent you can't keep your kids from watching these movies that have become so popular for our children. So yes she's watched all kinds of Disney movies and yes she was once obssesed with being TinkerBell but I have tried educating her, as best I can, about they myths that those characters represent (without scaring her and saying thats all fake). We can talk more in class, I don't want to write you a novel :-)

      Delete